Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Reason

Christmas time means many different things to any number of different people. I know what this holiday has meant to me in years past. Sometimes the season has taken on a different focus depending on what was happening that particular year.

This year has been one of the most challenging years on record in recent history. So, what does this holiday mean to me this year? What is the reason for the season this year? I read a post by a friend yesterday and things began to come back into focus for me.
"Tis the season for sharing and giving. Not receiving. Not wanting. Not being greedy. Not even football or food or shopping. But for giving. To others. For absolutely nothing in return. Make sure that those around you feel welcome and that their needs are met. For it is in giving that we receive."
The story from the post where I pulled this quote is definitely worth reading and pondering in its entirety! I am very grateful for the reminders. Christmas is not about the gifts under the tree--or about who is under your roof (or not). What is it about? See above. I couldn't say it any better.

2 comments:

  1. Now don't get me wrong when I said it's not about the gifts under the tree. I mean, if there just happened to be a gift or two, I wouldn't, like, send it back or anything......

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;-) NO, of course we wouldn't ever do *that* Arnie! 0:-)

    ReplyDelete